VMware Engineer will provide support for a data center and its "back-up/hot center" that hosts over 300 applications. This position is responsible for providing server virtualization support which includes infrastructure migration from ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 6 (2500+ VMs, hosts, data stores, across multiple geographic sites) and supporting new hosting requirements.
- Run reports, troubleshoot backup failures and install backup agents on new clients, restores, loading and unloading tapes in tape library.
- Manage disk space and the ticket queue, attend meetings and make sure projects get completed on time
- Participate in Business Continuity Plan to test failover to alternate sites and ensure cross-siting for backups
- Work with the team to plan and implement infrastructure migration from ESXi 6.0, ESXi 6.5 (2500+ VMs, Hosts, Datastores, across multiple geographic sites)
- Work with VM Template Manager (monthly patching, vulnerabilities, and infrastructure deployment) - scripted with PowerShell
Use Powershell to automate repetitive tasks and create reports used to validate project completion VMware PowerCLI - automated management of VMware infrastructure, including VM deployment, VM Post Deployment configuration snapshots, reconfigure VMs, automated changes to infrastructure configurations and VM policies, etc
- Virtual Machine Buildout and Configuration to Secure Baseline Configuration (SBC) Security Compliance Standards - Automated task with PowerShell
- ESXi VM Host Cluster Buildout, patching, and Management - Automated configuration of VM Host Builds with PowerShell and Plink scripts working together because an SSH connection was required
- vCenter infrastructure management and configuration - Manual/automated tasks, also Datastore and network management
- MSCS VMware clustering for High performance computing, high availability, and uninterrupted SQL server vMotion
- Datastore provisioning, deployment, presentation and reclamation
- Create and update process/configuration documentation for many tasks and project requirements
- Implement hardware/software changes including expansion of two tape libraries, supporting a new archiving storage solution, migrating data to tiered storage and installing Service Packs to keep backup software up to date
Desired Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university and at least three (3) years of related VMware experience preferred
- Experience with Mid-level Linux Systems Administration required
- Experience with PowerShell, Linux Batch Scripting required
- Experience with VMware ESXi required (5.1 or 6 Preferred)
- VMware Certified Associate preferred
- VM Clustering experience preferred
The work will require occasional moderate lifting. Typically the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there will be some requirement for lifting and transporting equipment that could weigh between 5 -30lbs.
The Engineer is regularly exposed to a general office environment. Additionally, there will be opportunity for the Engineer to travel to the customer site for VMware support.